I want help for a sexual assault that happened in the past



It’s common, and quite normal, to delay reporting a sexual assault. There are many reasons for doing so. You may be afraid, confused, or have feelings of guilt. These are all normal reactions, and we can support you at anytime.

A forensic assessment includes collecting evidence for the police, which they can possibly use in a criminal investigation. It is usually not possible to collect forensic evidence more than seven days after the assault, but you can still report the crime to the police at any time.

Even if you don’t want to talk to the police about your options, it is still a good idea to see a healthcare provider, even if it’s a long time since the assault. A member of our team will answer any concerns you have about your health as as result of an assault, such as checking for sexually transmitted infections. They can also refer you to other support services that can help.

There are lots of ways to get help from us after a sexual assault 

Ask the police to refer you.

Talk to us at the Cambridge Clinic

03 366 0067 (office hours only for non-urgent requests)

Or complete the online callback request form (Please note this service is only monitored during daytime hours)


Phone the Sexual Assault Support Service Canterbury (SASSC) 24/7 Helpline.


Ask the Safe To Talk Sexual Harm Hotline to refer you to us

Ask your GP, Family Planning Clinic, or Sexual Health Clinic to refer you.

Ask the hospital, or after-hours clinic to refer you.

Ask Oranga Tamariki (Previously known as CYFs) to refer you.

What services are available at an assessment after a past sexual assault?


    1. Medical assessment

    2. Documentation of any injuries for police reporting (this is not a forensic examination as evidence will not still be present more than 7 days after the sexual assault)

    3. Pregnancy testing

    4. Screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections

    5. Referral to other support services (counselling, support groups, refuges, court support services and ACC)